Thursday, March 24, 2011

Indecisive

Making a decision can be hard, especially when it can affect the rest of your life. I am now making a decision, which could turn into my career for the rest of my life: choosing a final focus for my forth year nursing program.

Choices:

Mental Health = I fell in love with mental health the very first moment, because of the awesome instructor I have. We had so much fun together, the group was great, we had tours around the city... I love the fact that we don't have to wear a scrub to work, and I don't have to go crazy trying to memorize and perform the appropriate nursing skills. All you have to do is talk to the patient. But at the end, my instructor did remind me that as English is my second language, it would be a huge challenge for me to be in mental health field/

Adult Health =  I don't know. I don't really want to get stuck in general medicine or whatsoever, but if I can choose oncology or othopedic...that would be cool right...i want to work in the operating room too, which some people had mentioned is quite a work...as you stand there all day long. But OR would be something that i should consider? since i want to experience something different!

Seniors Health =  Nah...for sure I would not choose this as my final focus. I am already working in a nursing home for more than 2 years. Very possible that I can get a casual position there as well, so no thanks.

Child Health = I had the opportunity to go to the ER and experienced how it felt to be working in the emerg. I think I really want emerg now! But I sucked at communication, so nevermind. The acute placement was actually not bad either. But my instructor did not make it fun at all. So it is still a 50/50??

Newborn Health = The reason being that I do like seeing new moms and babies. And I am really confident of my skills in newborn/maternity. I really do! And I like cuddling with babies too. And the way my instructor pushed me to the max, made me feel like it is an easy task for me! But...I have a doubt. I did not like babies before, now I like them?? And really I do not want to teach breastfeeding all the time!

Community Heath = I always want something easy. A job from 9 to 5, instead of shift work, a job that only requires business outfit instead of the ugly scrub, a job where i could really take it easy, my actions would not have impact to the person directly, i prob won't make too much mistake...I want to sit there and give immunization to people...EASY! But my friend just reminded me that before vending into or getting stuck into a field for the rest of your life, you might take advantage from the final focus and gain something from it. Good point. So no community health for now?

So what, should I pick emergency? I am thinking a million of reason not to choose you, but I have never thought of a reason to get into emergency...

No comments:

Post a Comment